Cigarette lighter causes Danville house fire

By  | 

DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7)-- The Danville Fire Department says they responded to a house fire at 203 Murphy Circle Friday at around 12:49 a.m.

When crews arrived to the one-story house, they found smoke and fire showing from the front of the house.

Firefighters found the source of the fire in the bedroom. They say the cause of the fire was improper use of a cigarette lighter. Crews say the lighter set the bedding and the bed on fire. Four people were in the bedroom at the time of the fire.

The fire was quickly put out. According to the fire department, the first floor of the house suffered extensive smoke and heat damage to all the rooms.

Crews say all seven people in the house made it out safe. Firefighters found the family dog in the basement and removed the dog from the residence. They placed the dog in the care of a neighbor for the time being.

Crews say there were no smoke alarms in the house.

The American Red Cross is helping to assist all seven residents plus one that was at work at the time of the fire.