Early morning house fire displaces residents in Danville

By  | 

DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7) -- Residents living in a Danville home that caught fire early Friday morning are safe thanks to a passerby.

The Danville Fire Department said crews were dispatched just before 5:00 a.m. for a structure fire on Elizabeth Street.

When they arrived there was smoke and flames showing. Authorities said the fire had burned a hole through the floor into a crawlspace, and had also worked up a wall into the attic.

Crews were able to put out the fire, but the home was significantly damaged.

Officials said the people living inside were lucky they got out.

According to the department, a passerby saw the fire and beat on the door until both occupants woke up and got out.

The Fire Marshal's Office said a faulty fireplace sparked the flames.

Authorities said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

The residents of the home are being helped by the Red Cross.