CHATHAM, Va. (WDBJ7)-- A Thursday afternoon house fire in Chatham has left one woman dead and a man injured. Family tells us Lois Byrd died at the home on Davis Road yesterday afternoon. She’s the wife of Chatham’s mayor, Roy Byrd, who was transferred to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The Byrd family home was quiet Friday afternoon, but reminders of the destruction from the day before were everywhere as caution tape still surrounds the house.
A fire that started in the basement around 2:00 pm Thursday took the life of Lois Byrd and has left her family in shock.
“She was a beautiful woman and it’s just a massive loss,” said her son Aaron Byrd.
Byrd was a school teacher in the town for many years and wife of the current mayor. Friends and family say she was a loving mom, grandmother, and daughter.
Neighbors say she loved the outdoors and helping others. The Hancocks were on the scene and have lived across from the Byrd's since 2005.
“She's going to be missed terribly. I'm going to miss seeing her outside and loving on our dogs, that's for sure,” said Cheryl Hancock.
The community has been showing support for the Byrds. A sign at the Community Center reads, “Pray for the Byrd family”.
The family is still processing what has happened. They spent Friday outside getting things cleaned up and reminiscing about a life that will be missed.
“Just hopefully something like this… Hopefully people can look at their lives and everyone around them and make sure to take care of each other,” said Aaron Byrd. “Because this stuff happens and everything's over.”