Fire crews respond to structure fire in Martinsville

By  | 

MARTINSVILLE, Va (WDBJ7) -- Just before 11 a.m. Sunday morning, Martinsville Fire & EMS responded to a structure fire at 918 Chalmers Street.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the home, and found flames in the basement.

Two people and one dog had escaped the home. The husband, Don Fain, had attempted to rescue another dog, but was pushed back by the smoke. Firefighter Kenny Brady with Martinsville Fire & EMS found the
family’s missing Dachshund in the upstairs living room area unresponsive and barely breathing.

Once outside the home, oxygen was given to the family’s Dachshund with the help of Stone’s Ambulance Service. After several minutes of oxygen, “Bubba” began to blink his eyes, breath normally and move around. One of the family’s daughters took him to an animal hospital in Chatham to be evaluated.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the basement with some extension into the kitchen upstairs.

Total damage is estimated at $20,000 with an additional $15,000 added for contents. The fire is believed to be accidental and to have started in the basement.

The Fire Marshal is still investigating the fire at this time.