One resident, three dogs displaced after house fire in Roanoke

ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) -- One resident and three dogs are displaced following a house fire Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to the 1100 block of Murray Avenue around 4:20 p.m.

When crews arrived they found that a Roanoke police officer had rescued the resident who was inside. They were taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for with non-life threatening burns.

The resident is also being assisted by American Red Cross.

The fire was caused by smoking materials near oxygen equipment.