ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) Chef Chris Martin from Kroger in Blacksburg shared with WDBJ7's Melissa Gaona and Logan Sherrill some recipes that are sure to be a hit at viewing parties!
Beer Cheese Sliders on a Pretzel Bun:
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. plain breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
For beer cheese:
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
3/4 c. beer
1 c. milk
2 c. shredded Cheddar
1 c. shredded mozzarella
2 tbsp. chopped chives, plus more for serving
12 pretzel buns
1 Heat oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2 In large bowl, mix together beef, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and yellow mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into 12 balls and flatten slightly to create patties. Bake uncovered until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
3 In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in beer and cook until the beer is slightly reduced. Pour in milk and bring to simmer, whisking occasionally. Stir in cheeses, cayenne and Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce is thickened.
4 Spoon beer cheese over patties and serve with pretzel bun sliders.
Black Bean Sliders with Chipotle Mayonnaise:
FOR THE CHIPOTLE MAYONAISE:
· 1/2 cup mayonnaise
· 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (seeds removed for a milder mayo; leave them in for more heat)
· 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the can of chipotles)
· 1 small clove garlic, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
· Pinch kosher salt
FOR THE BLACK BEAN PATTIES:
· 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
· 1 egg
· 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
· 1 small clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
· 1 cup bread crumbs
· 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
· 1 teaspoon dried oregano
· 1/2 teaspoon cumin
· 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
· 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
· 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
· 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
FOR THE SLIDERS:
· 16 slider buns or dinner rolls, sliced in half
· 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, sliced thin
· 1/2 red onion, sliced
· Sliced sweet pickles
MAKE THE CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE:
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
MAKE THE BLACK BEAN PATTIES:
1. Place beans in a small bow and mash with a fork or potato masher. Add egg, bread crumbs, adobo sauce, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper. Mix well.
2. Form into one-ounce patties about 2 tablespoons per patty by rolling mixture into a ball, packing together firmly, and then flattening slightly.
3. Add the olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Working in batches so that the burgers aren't too crowded, cook one side until browned about 5 minutes, then carefully flip and cook until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
4. Remove patties to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain and cool slightly.
ASSEMBLE THE SLIDERS:
1. Put slider buns sliced-side up on a cookie sheet. Add black bean patties to the bottom halves of the buns and top with cheese. Place under oven broiler until cheese has melted and buns are golden brown, about one minute (depending on your broiler just watch carefully!)
2. Remove from oven and slather chipotle mayo on the inside of the bun tops. Top burgers with red onions and pickles, sandwich with the bun top, and secure with a toothpick or skewer. Serve immediately.