Unattended cooking to blame for Danville apartment fire

By  | 

DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7) A fire started in a second-story apartment in Danville on Thursday, according to the Danville Fire Department.

Danielle Staub/WDBJ7

The apartment was in the Colonial Heights complex on 642 Arnett Boulevard. The cause was unattended cooking, according to the Danville Fire Department.

Units that first arrived reported smoke and fire from apartment 9B. The occupants were outside the apartments and advised no one was in the apartment that was burning, according to Battalion Chief Brian Alderson.

Alderson says the apartment suffered significant damage. The apartment below suffered minor water damage. Carbon monoxide was found in most of the neighboring second floor apartments.

The Red Cross is helping 14 occupants for one night. All but two of the apartments should be livable within the next 24 hours.

The Danville Fire Department was on the scene for 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Although the fire was put out safely, it took police some time to put out the leftover smoke.

Here is the press release from the Danville Fire Department:

At 4:43 this afternoon the Danville Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment on fire at 642 Arnett Blvd. First arriving units reported smoke and fire showing from second story apartment 9B. The occupants were outside and advised no one was in the apartment that was burning. Engine companies controlled the fire quickly. Fire damage was contained to the one apartment. This apartment suffered significant damage. The apartment below the fire suffered minor water damage. There were 12 apartments in the building. All of the units were tested for carbon monoxide. This is a by-product of smoke and fire. Carbon monoxide was found in most of the second floor apartments. Each apartment was ventilated with positive pressure fans. During this time the power was restored to 8 of the 12 apartments. All units were deemed clear of CO after being metered several times.
The Red Cross is helping 14 occupants for one night. All but two of the apartments should be livable within the next 24 hours.
The DFD remained on scene for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Heat conditions also contributed to the extended on scene time due to extra rehab to cool down and replenish fluids. Four engines and one ladder responded with 17 personnel. Five support vehicles also responded.
The Fire Marshal's Office advised the cause of the fire was unattended cooking.

Damage to apartment complex on Arnett Blvd. today. Cause was unattended cooking. No injuries. #danvilleva

A photo posted by Danville (Va) Fire Dept (@danvillevafire) on