HAMPTON—Profession: Award-winning breeder of Purrinlot Persians www.purrinlot.com; owner of Castle Baths of spa products www.castlebaths.com.
Pastime: Participates in the annual cat show sponsored by Pawprints in the Sand and Chamberlain on the Bay and the Cat Fanciers Association www.cfa.org.
ADOPT A CAT
Peninsula SPCA at www.PeninsulaSPCA.com or 595-1392.
The Cat Corner at http://thecatcornerinc.rescuegroups.org or 722-0590.
Heritage Humane Society in Williamsburg at www.heritagehumanesociety.org or 221-0150.
Virginia Beach SPCA at www.vbspca.org or 427-0070.
SELECTING A CAT 1. Purchase from a reputable breeder or humane society and don't buy based on sex and or color -- research the breed itself.
2. Select a cat that meets the time you have for a pet and matches your personality.
3. Pick a cat by its personality and activity level.
4. Consider your new kitten as if this is a new baby -- take the first few days slow. Cats do not show stress -- instead, they become ill.
5. Find a good vet and develop a relationship with the vet this helps you and your lifestyle work around the best choice in selecting and keeping a cat healthy and happy.
WHAT CAT TO GET
* Persians/Himalayans are more like puppies.... they like to follow you around, like to be in your lap, are playful and normally are not climbers.
* Longhairs require monthly baths and grooming.
* Short-haired cats are more adventurous, climb any and everywhere, exploring the tops of refrigerators, curtain rods, opening cabinets; they have lots of energy.