Butternut Squash Soup - Recipe by Jeff Bland, Center of the Plate Specialist, U.S. Foodservice, Roanoke Division
4 TBSP Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, peeled and diced.
- Salt and pepper To Taste
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash, roasted and cooled.
- A? Cup Flour
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Cream
- Cayenne Pepper To Taste
- 1 TBSP Honey
In a large pot, sautA? the diced onion in butter until golden brown, season with salt and pepper; this should take about 10 minutes. Add the roasted butternut squash and the flour and stir until well incorporated. Mix in the broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Puree the mixture with an immersion blender or a stand blender until smooth. Add the cream, cayenne pepper, and honey and simmer until the desired consistency has been reached. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.
- Be careful with salt if using bullion cubes or base; they can be very salty.
- Garnish with dollop of CrA?me Fraiche or sour cream.
- Use your favorite variety of winter squash like acorn, pumpkin, turban, etc.
- Also garnish with candied pecans if you wish.