Recipe by Mark Bratton, Executive Chef from the West End Market at Virginia Tech
-Salmon filet, wild caught, Sockeye, 4oz. - 1 each
-Olive oil or grape seed oil - 1 tablespoon
-French bread, split - 1" to 4" pieces
-Butter, melted - 1 tablespoon
-Kosher salt - 1/2 teaspoon
-Ground black pepper - pinch
-Dill shallot mayonnaise (see below) - 2 tablespoons
- Ensure that all preparation equipment and utensils are clean and sanitized. Wash hands before you begin.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium to high heat.
- Season both sides of the filet with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to the pan or griddle and cook the salmon for around 4 minutes per side, ensuring the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- While the fish is cooking, brush the open sides of the bread with the melted butter and cook this on the pan or griddle until golden brown.
- Remove the bread and spread 1 tablespoon of the dill shallot mayonnaise on each side.
- Place the cooked salmon filet on one half and top with remaining half. Transfer to serving plate and enjoy!
Dill Shallot Mayonnaise