ROANOKE, Va. -

You can't smell it or see it but it can kill you.

After a leak in a New York restaurant killed the manager and sent dozens of others to the hospital over the weekend, fire officials say to be wary of the gas.

The restaurant did not have a carbon monoxide detector

Virginia law doesn't require every existing home or business to have carbon monoxide detectors.

But fire officials say it's the best way to keep your family safe.

Fire officials want to remind people that the average carbon monoxide detector lasts about half as long as a smoke detector.

Fire experts always encourage people to change the batteries on all those detectors whenever the clocks change; we spring forward in less than two weeks.   

Roanoke firefighters responded to 15 carbon monoxide alarms since October, with 12 of them being faulty detectors and three actual problems.

The cause of the New York leak was bad piping; a good reminder to get those gas appliances checked out at least once a year.   

"It's for peace of mind. I got two kids and I don't want to take no chances with anything," said Jennifer Amos, a parent.

"You've got gas dryers, gas hot water heaters, those are things you use in your house 365 days a year. So you want to make sure you have your carbon monoxide detectors there if you have those types of things in your home," Tiffany Bradbury with Roanoke Fire EMS added.

Keep in mind that carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas.

The symptoms of possible poisoning are feeling like you have the flu, headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness.

As for where to put those detectors, experts say at least one in the bedroom and one in the rooms adjacent to where those gas appliances are.