ROANOKE, Va. -

Two people are in the hospital after an apartment fire in Roanoke that left 12 adults and one child displaced on Wednesday evening.

It happened on the 700 block of Sterling Road. One apartment was a total loss and eight other apartments were affected. The Roanoke fire department estimates that the fire caused about $105,000 of damage.

A tenant was transported to Roanoke Carilion Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation. A firefighter was also taken to the hospital with second-degree burns.

According to Roanoke Fire-EMS, a tenant was cooking with a pot of oil on the stove and fell asleep on the couch.

When crews arrived around 9:15 p.m., the apartment where the fire originated was blazing and enthralled in heavy smoke. The fire took about 20 minutes to contain.

The Red Cross is providing emergency housing, food and clothing to the people impacted by the fire.

This is the fourth apartment complex fire that Roanoke Fire-EMS has responded to in the past few months.

The fire department offers these tips to prevent fires:

- NEVER leave cooking unattended
- Properly dispose of smoking materials and never smoke in bed or while
sleepy (best to smoke outside)
- Practice your exit drill
- Make sure your home has working smoke alarms
- Never re-enter a building that is on fire
- Never leave candles burning unattended
- Don't use extension cords for permanent sources of power
- Use extreme caution with space heaters

=========================

An apartment complex is on fire on Sterling Road in Southwest Roanoke.

WDBJ7 received a tip from a viewer around 9:30 p.m. who said smoke was coming from the building and crews were on site.

Roanoke City Police say multiple crews are on the scene. They are working to make sure everyone is out of the building and safe.

We’ll have more details as they become available.