A Roanoke man and former pet store owner is facing multiple animal cruelty charges.
Alexander Nelson IV, is charged with 43 animal cruelty misdemeanors. He was once the owner of Classy Critters in Radford, a pet store that is no longer in operation.
On June 13, Radford City Police and Animal Control officers responded to a complaint that a foul odor was coming from the pet store.
When authorities arrived, they saw unsanitary conditions and conducted a search.
Three dogs, two turtles, one Bearded Dragon, one Leopard Gecko, one Fat Tailed Gecko and numerous fish were seized.
Police found numerous fish, rodents and a Fire Bellied Toad that were dead.
Nelson is charged with the following misdemeanors:
- 15 animal cruelty charges
- 15 charges of failure of dealer/pet store to provide adequate care
- 5 counts of improper disposal
- 3 counts of of not having rabies shots for dogs
- 3 counts of not having licenses for dogs
- 2 counts of having dogs running at large