Weeding, fertilizing and water -- chores that come along with gardening. But WDBJ7 talks to the Roanoke Council of Garden Clubs, Inc. for ways to make it all a lot easier.
Plenty of gardening blogs say there are several ways to keep the weeds from getting out of control:
- Pulling weeds
- Cultivation/turning soil
- Mass planting, with shrubs and other plants closer together to block sunlight on soil
During the hot summer seasons, many plants need a generous amount of water to survive.
- Water only when needed -- overwatering can be damaging
- Use an automatic timer
- Focus on root area when watering
- Water in the morning or evening.
- Mulch reduces surface runoff and slows evaporation from the soil
- Use soaker hose instead of a sprinkler for best results
According to houselogic.com, there are ways you can save money by making your own fertilizer. Click here for more information.