March 5, 2014

Well, we made it to 28 weeks!!! Yay for all of us. It is a big milestone. Now we are hoping for 30 weeks.

Well onto our reaction about the news of having quadruplets. I was getting an ultrasound. The doctor who was performing the ultrasound was not the one who performed the in vitro. But the nurse in the room was with us for the in vitro procedure.

So the doctor starts going over my belly and I think that I see two little beans. I think to myself that we are going to have twins, which was fine. In my mind I know we can handle that. Then the doctor says, "Refresh my memory, we put three embryos in, right?"

My husband Jon, me and the nurse all answer ‘yes’ at the same time. Well, the doctor then said "lighting struck." Immediately my mind goes to, ‘Well guess I was right. We are having twins.’ My poor husband's mind goes to, ‘Oh no. None stuck.’ Then the doctor says you have four heartbeats. The nurse gasped. I yelled "FOUR," and poor Jon sat there dumbfounded. I started laughing, and I don't think I stopped for 30 minutes.

The doctor finally said he was going to give us a few minutes to digest this and then he would meet with us. Jon still hadn't spoken and I was laughing so hard that I had tears running down my face. I got dressed, tried to control my laughing, and then tried to get Jon to speak.

We went into the doctor's office and talked about the dangers of carrying quadruplets. The doctor discussed selective reduction, which Jon and I both said no to. Jon finally talked and asked about my health, and how this would affect me. The doctor was very thorough and gave us a lot to think about. We made an appointment to come back the following week, and walked quietly to our car.

The first few minutes of the drive back to Roanoke from Charlottesville were quiet. Then I said, ‘Well, I guess we should call our families. You know they are waiting.’

Poor Jon kind of numbly shook his head yes. We called our parents and they were shocked, happy, worried, thrilled. I text messaged a few friends and they didn’t believe me. So I had to call them and tell them, that yup, it's true. I am not joking. We are really pregnant with FOUR babies!!

My boys had different emotions. My oldest, Chris, wasn't thrilled at all. He was getting ready to start college. He was worried about his mom etc. Aj, was pretty stoked. He couldn't and still can't wait.

Our church was in the middle of revival week, so we went to church and as soon as I walked in all the ladies immediately surrounded me and wanted to know how the appointment went with the doctor. I tell them four babies. Some just smiled, some said congratulations, others looked worried. But they all said we will pray for you. The men said congratulations, but thank goodness it's not us! I know that is what everyone is thinking.

We went back to the doctor the next week. Jon had just started talking in full sentences. He tells me how scared he is for my health, the babies’ health, and of course our finances -- which I understand. I let him know that I needed his support, I needed him to talk to me, to be a part of this pregnancy, that I couldn't do it alone. It was a great trip, and a good talk. We got to see our babies’ heartbeats again and they were all strong. We knew we were going to be OK. The dragonflies let us know. I will explain how next week!

In the meantime, you can follow more updates on my Facebook page:

JoAnna Heaps lives in Salem. She is WDBJ7's "Heaps of Joy" blogger. JoAnna has two children, and is expecting quadruplets. She will be posting updates every Wednesday.

Well, hello third Trimester!!

Feb. 26, 2014

Hi, my name is JoAnna, and you may have heard my story last week on WDBJ7. I am pregnant with quadruplets -- three boys and one girl. (Click here to see WDBJ7’s original story:

I am now 27 weeks pregnant, and we made it to the third trimester. Doctors are pretty thrilled about it, and so are we. Of course our first goal is 28 weeks, and we only have one more to go. But our big goal is 32 weeks and then 34 weeks. I think the babies know I am writing about them right now; they are kicking up a storm. 

I have two sons from a previous marriage. Chris is 18 and in college, and A.J. is 12 and in the sixth grade.
My husband Jon has no children of his own, so we thought we would try for one. We tried for three years with infertility doctors, shots, IUI, etc., but nothing worked. We took a few months off to decide what we were going to do.

After prayer and long talks we decided to try in vitro fertilization. We knew we could only do it once, because of the cost and my age. I am 40. Well, it only took one time. We went in for a consultation and the doctors warned us that there was only a 14-20% chance that it would work.

We started the shots, the medicine, etc. for about a month, then it was time to see how many eggs we could extract. We went to Charlottesville on a Thursday and they were only able to get six eggs out; we were hoping for 15, but my left ovary just wasn't cooperative.

So they took the six eggs and combined them with my husband’s specimen. They told us that it would either be three days or five days -- depending upon how the eggs were fertilized -- before they would put them back in me.
Saturday morning at 7 a.m. my phone rang and it was the doctor in Charlottesville. He said that the eggs were ready and wanted us there at 10 a.m. Jon and I were both nervous and excited at the same time. When we got there, the doctor told us that three eggs were perfect and the other three probably weren't going to get any better. So they would insert three fertilized eggs and we would pray for the best.

We had to wait two weeks for our next appointment, but I couldn't wait that long. After 10 days I took a home pregnancy test and, well, POSITIVE!

Next week find out all about our reactions to the news.... :)