July 4 holiday event roundup
POSTED: 12:01 PM EDT Jul 03, 2013 UPDATED: 01:53 PM EDT Jul 04, 2013
If you're looking for something to do to celebrate July 4, here is a list of area events:
- Salem Fair Fireworks - The Salem Fair will feature a fireworks display at 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 4.
- Marion VA Fireworks, street concert, sidewalk sales - The town of Marion is hosting fireworks, a street concert, and sidewalk sales for the Fourth and Independence Weekend. The Independence Weekend Celebration will be in downtown Marion, featuring music by Idlewild. Fireworks are Thursday, July 4 at MSHS stadium at dark, free admission the traditional fireworks on the Fourth of July. Fireworks are set for Thursday, July 4 at dusk at Marion stadium, and admission is free. The Independence Weekend Celebration program includes a free concert on Broad Street Saturday evening, sidewalk sales, and special activities at participating businesses in Smyth County's Courthouse Town.
- 4th of July at The Natural Bridge - What's known as a "town crier" will read the Declaration of Independence at Natural Bridge at noon, 2:00, and 4:00 p.m. on July 4. It is included with admission to the Natural Bridge. Buy discounted tickets online at http://www.NaturalBridgeVA.com.
- 28th Independence Day Celebration at Thomas Jefferson Poplar Forest - From 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on July 4, there will be music, dancing, historical entertainment, games, storytelling and the reading of the Declaration of Independence. Admission is $8.00 for adults, ages 15 and under get in free.
- Ringing of the Bells - CANCELLED The Daughters of the American Revolution will do their annual Ringing of the Bells at the Andrew Lewis statue at the Salem Civic Center. This will be held at 10:30 a.m. on July 4.
- Clifton Forge Stars and Stripes Celebration - The Fourth Annual Stars and Stripes Celebration will be held on Thursday, July 4 starting with a parade at 11:00 a.m. through downtown Clifton Forge and continuing to the Fireworks display at the C&O Heritage Center at 9:30 p.m. During the day there will be a reading of the Declaration of Independence at the Town Hall after the parade, music at the Masonic Amphitheatre, and an Art Walk through the historic district in the afternoon. The evening festivities will begin around 5:30PM at the C&O Heritage Center with music, food and fun. For more information visit the website here.
- Radford's Spirit of America July 4 Celebration - Radford's 4th of July celebration at Bisset Park in Radford has been cancelled. Fireworks, set to begin at 10:00 p.m., will still go on this evening.
- Music for Americans - The gates open for Music for Americans in Roanoke at 5:00 on July 4. A concert begins at 8:00 p.m at River's Edge Sports Complex with fireworks to follow.
- Town of Christiansburg's 15th Annual 4th of July Celebration - This year's celebration will be held at the Christiansburg High School Football Stadium on Thursday. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. Admission is free and pets are prohibited. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. Live music provided by Lee Palmer and the Hotwired Band and the Deltones will go on from 6-9:30 p.m., and a live performance of the National Anthem will start the fireworks around 9:30 p.m.
- Shawsville July 4th Celebration - The celebration begins with the July 4 parade at 5:00 p.m. featuring the World Famous Shawsville Ruritan Club Marching Kazoo Band. The parade finishes at the Shawsville Middle School, where there will be a magic show, bluegrass music, kids games, antique cars, auction, food, and fireworks at dusk. The event lasts from 5:00-10:00 p.m. and admission is free.
- Summer Dinner Picnic & Gazebo Music Series - Mountain Lake Lodge in Pembroke will celebrate Independence Day with a dinner and live music from 5:30 until 8:30 p.m. on July 4.
- Vinton Fourth of July Celebration - Children's entertainment, festival foods, and fireworks will be featured at the Vinton War Memorial Grounds from 6:00-10:00 p.m. on Thursday. Fireworks are set to begin at 9:30 p.m.
- Lynchburg Fireworks - Fireworks will begin around 9:15pm July 5th, immediately following Friday Cheers. The show will be launched from the Riversedge Park in Amherst County.
- 63rd Annual Narrows Homecoming Festival - The Town of Narrows will hold their 63rd Annual Homecoming Festival and July 4th Celebration on Saturday, July 6 instead of the 4th. Enjoy food, karaoke, inflatables, face painting, kid's games, and more throughout the day. The evening program beings at 7 p.m. and fireworks start at 10 p.m. Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for 7th graders - first graders and free for Kindergarten and under.
- Franklin County Independence Day Festival - The festival will feature music, fireworks, food and activities, including kids' activities held under the parks & recreation tent. The event is held at the Franklin County High School Football Stadium in Rocky Mount. Originally scheduled for Wednesday, the fireworks and festival will now take place next Friday, July 12.
Copyright © 2013, WDBJ7