WYTHE CO., Va. -

A man is in jail after an overnight standoff in Wythe County. Sheriff's deputies went to a home on Greek Miller Road in Crockett around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday night to arrest Donald Hayes.

When they got there, they say Hayes pushed a deputy and ran into his house saying he wasn't going to jail.

Over the next nine hours, Hayes supposedly fired shots at officers 14 times.

Police eventually brought in an armored car, and only after firing tear gas into the house were they able to arrest Hayes.

He faces a number of charges including attempted murder of a police officer.

News release from Wythe County Sheriff's office:

On 10/02/2013 at approximately 7:30 PM Deputies and Investigators from the Wythe Co. Sheriff’s Office went to the home of Donald “Donny” Irvin Hayes, age 53, from 113 Greek Miller Rd. in Crockett VA in an attempt to serve a warrant for misdemeanor domestic violence.  Hayes has a past history of resisting arrest.  When an Investigator that he had a warrant for Hayes, Hayes indicated that he had firearms in his home, pushed the Investigator and fled into the residence yelling that he wasn’t going to jail.  Hayes then called the Investigator on his cell phone and told him that he wasn’t going to jail and that he would shoot any law enforcement officer that tried to take him into custody.  The Wythe County Sheriff’s Tac Team responded and secured the scene and were fired on several times by Hayes.  We then requested the 4th Division VSP Tac Team respond with their armored vehicle.  Troopers and VSP Tac Team members responded to the scene.  Phone communications were periodically maintained with Hayes when he  would stay on the line.  When the armored car arrived VSP Tac Team began shooting gas into the residence and at approximately 4:30 AM this morning were able to make entry and take Hayes into custody after a brief scuffle.  Hayes fired at officers 14 times during the 9 hour standoff.  Hayes has been charged with Attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, reckless handling of a firearm, resist arrest, and assault on a law enforcement officer.

A man is in jail after a long stand off.

The standoff was at a house somewhere between Rural Retreat and Speedwell.

 Wythe County Sheriff's Deputies were trying to arrest that man Tuesday night, but he wouldn't come out.

Officers were worried he may have had guns and, in fact, shots may have been fired at one point.

They were finally able to arrest that man around four Wednesday morning without anyone getting hurt.