A Roanoke County neighborhood looked like the set for an action movie over the last 24 hours.

Tuesday night, things are back to normal.

But not before police arrested Bill Long, Jr., after a nearly 12 hour standoff and a possible bomb.

Even though this situation wrapped early Tuesday morning, it didn't end there.

During the course of the day, Roanoke County police, fire, and the state police were back in the neighborhood Tuesday afternoon.

People in the Roanoke County neighborhood had front row seats.

When asked what she heard, neighbor Barbara Beckner said, “About 6-shots, very loud, very scary.”

“Every time we thought it was going to end, it kept going,” neighbor Terry Coles said.

It started just before 1:00 Monday afternoon on Orlando Avenue.

Police got a report of a man pointing a gun at another man and not letting him leave the house.

That man escaped and called police.

“The information we had was there were numerous firearms, lots of ammunition, the individual was clearly distraught ,” Roanoke County Police Department Assistant Chief Chuck Mason said.

From there, the situation escalated.

Terry and Carolyn Coles, who live down the street, were, like a lot of neighbors, trapped in their home.

“We came home for lunch and everything was fine, then when we went to leave there were police officers behind cars and duck down and snipers coming out,” Terry said.

Bill Long, Jr. was eventually arrested early Tuesday morning after nearly 12 hours, multiple rounds of tear gas and lots of negotiating.

But, it didn't stop there for police.

“We had a search warrant for the house, we executed it last night, we have had officers on the scene ever since then. We're still in the process of searching the house, it's a very slow methodical process,” Assistant Chief of Roanoke County Police, Chuck Mason, said.

It was during that search, that police discovered what they called, 'a suspicious package.'

The state police bomb squad was called in.

We were working on this story when they decided to detonate it.

Assistant Chief Chuck Mason says there wasn't anything in that suspicious package; authorities were just erring on the side of caution.

What sparked the initial confrontation is unknown.


3:03 p.m. Tuesday: The suspicious package detonated by a Virginia State Police bomb squad on Orlando Avenue in Roanoke County on Tuesday was deemed "not dangerous," according to police.