An early-morning Roanoke fire started in a closet and spread to the attic, according to officials.
Four people were home at the time of the fire. Everyone inside the home was awoke by smoke detectors, and were able to get out safely.
The residents told firefighters that they extinguished a fire in a closet earlier in the night. However, that fire spread to the attic.
The fire caused around $5,000 in damage.
Police say a fire broke out at a duplex in Roanoke around 4:30 a.m. Friday at 203 18th Street S.E. and 1798 Campbell.
Most of the damage happened inside.
Police say a family was inside.
There is no word yet on how they're doing.
An investigation is ongoing.