This Saturday, the Roanoke City Sheriff's Office will host a community shred day for fraud prevention.
The event will happen from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Home Depot parking lot on Hershberger Road.
Law enforcement encourage you to bring any important paperwork with personal information you wouldn't want in the wrong hands -- credit card numbers, bank account and routing numbers, phone numbers, social security numbers, etc.
According to the Department of Justice website, it's common for criminals to dumpster dive near offices or even homes to look for those documents.
Here are some tips to help you minimize your risk of becoming a victim of identity theft:
- Shred any important/sensitive paperwork that you don't need anymore.
- Be stingy about who you give information to and where you put it.
- Be on alert for scams: someone calling you and asking for personal information like your mother's maiden name is most likely a scammer.
- If you must give personal information over the phone, do it in a private place where people can't listen in.
- Constantly check online bank statements.