RAPHINE, Va. (AP) -- -

Virginia State Police are still investigating the fatal crash involving multiple vehicles on Interstate 81 in Augusta County Tuesday morning.

Lara Gass, 27, of Lexington died at the scene of the accident.

It happened around 9:01 a.m. in the northbound lanes near the 210 mile marker.
According to a news release, the crash was a result of an earlier crash involving two vehicles near the same mile marker.

A tractor-trailer braked to avoid the two crashed vehicles. A Saturn traveling behind the tractor-trailer wasn’t able to stop in time and rear-ended the tractor-trailer.

The Saturn caught fire due to the impact of the wreck, and was completely destroyed by the blaze.

Gass was the driver of the Saturn. She died at the scene of the wreck.

The driver of the tractor-trailer was not hurt in the crash. One person involved in the initial crash was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

The investigation is ongoing.


One person is dead following a multiple-vehicle accident on Interstate 81 in Augusta County.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller says the accident occurred around 9 a.m. Tuesday morning in the northbound lanes near mile marker 210.

Traffic was backed up for several hours because of the accident.

The accident happened after two cars crashed. A tractor-trailer headed north braked to avoid the accident. A car behind the tractor-trailer was unable to stop in time and rear-ended the tractor-trailer.

The impact of the crash caused the car to catch on fire.

The driver of the car that caught on fire died at the scene. Virginia State Police have not released the identity of that person.

One person in the first two-vehicle crash was taken to Augusta Health for minor injuries.


One lane of Interstate 81 North in Augusta County is closed by a multiple-vehicle accident involving a tractor-trailer.

Traffic is backed up five miles.

The wreck is at mile marker 210, which is about 2.5 miles from Exit 213 and between the Raphine and Greenville exits.

The Virginia Department of Transportation says the right lane is expected to be closed for several hours. The left lane re-opened around 10:45 a.m.

Check back soon for more updates.