VDOT will start several projects that will cause delays over the next few months
The following is a list of highway projects that may affect traffic in the 12-county Salem Transportation District during the next two weeks.
* INTERSTATE 81 TRUCK CLIMBING LANE – Due to the ongoing road construction project to build truck climbing lane on southbound I- 81 in Montgomery County between mile markers 120 and 125 drivers should expect changing traffic patterns. The speed limit in the work zone has been reduced to 55 mph. The work on the truck climbing lane project is expected to be completed in November 2013.
Southbound detours will be in place Monday, July 8, beginning at 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning. Southbound I-81 traffic will be detoured at exit 132 (Dixie Caverns) onto Route 11/460 and back onto I-81 at exit 118 (Christiansburg).
* INTERSTATE 81 LANE CLOSURES – Lane closures will be in place for paving and pavement repairs on southbound I-81 between mile markers 156 and 162. Work will be performed between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. Estimated completion is October.
* INTERSTATE 81 MOWING – Shoulder closures will be in place along various portions of north and southbound I-81 between mile markers 87 and 174 during daylight hours on weekdays for mowing.
* ELM AVENUE NIGHTTIME LANE CLOSURES – Temporary lane closures will be in place on Elm Avenue between Sunday, July 7 and Thursday, July 11, from 8 p.m. each night until 6 a.m. the following morning for temporary signal and sign installation and the demolition of concrete medians on Elm Avenue. This work is part of the I-581/Elm Avenue bridge replacement project.
* INTERSTATE 581 PAVING –Lane closures will be in place on northbound I-581 between Orange Avenue and Elm Avenue as crews pave from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning Sunday through Thursday. This work will be complete on Friday, July 12.
* INTERSTATE 581 SHOULDER CLOSURES - Preliminary work associated with the Interstate 581 and Valley View Boulevard interchange design-build project in Roanoke will require southbound shoulder closures between Tenth Street and Orange Avenue Monday, July 8 and Friday, July 12. Additionally, Tuesday, July 9 through Thursday July 11, northbound shoulder closures will be in place from Hershberger Road to Orange Avenue. The shoulder closures will be in place from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. each day.
* POTHOLE PATCHING AND PAVING (VARIOUS ROUTES) – Weather permitting, crews will pave or patch potholes on various secondary roads. Flaggers may control traffic at times during daylight hours. Drivers should watch for signs and expect possible delays.
Copyright © 2013, WDBJ7