MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Va. -

Two people are safe, after escaping a house fire in Montgomery County Monday morning.

Blacksburg's assistant fire chief says the fire started in the chimney of a home on Mount Zion Road, and quickly spread to the walls.

A father and son were sleeping at the time, and woke up when they realized their home was on fire.

Flames were coming through the roof when fire crews got there.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to get the flames under control.

An early damage estimate is around $25,000.