APPOMATTOX CO., Va. -

A volunteer firefighter saved the life of a man who was trapped inside his Appomattox County home when it caught fire on Christmas Eve.

Matt Millner of Concord Volunteer Fire Department was the first person to arrive at the burning home on Hummingbird Lane just after 12:20 p.m.

According to Chief Stephen Spraker, the homeowner was inside trying to put out the fire with a garden hose when he was overcome by smoke. Millner pulled him to safety. The man suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

The homeowner’s wife was also inside at the time of the fire. She was taken to the hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

The fire was contained to the room where it started and minimal damage was reported.

No cause has been determined at this time.