Chances are your home has at least a small amount of radioactive gas seeping in through the cracks in the foundation, the plumbing or even the drains.
The radioactive gas is called radon, one of the byproducts of uranium. In small amounts, it's not harmful, but in larger amounts, it can lead to a number of health problems.
According to the Surgeon General, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
Radon is a radioactive gas produced when uranium in soil decays; it can be found all over the United States, but it's much more common in the southeast.
Radon gas moves up through the ground into your home through cracks and holes in the foundation, becoming trapped inside your enclosed home. The winter months can be a good time to test for radon because the homes are tightly sealed for the colder winter weather.
George Fardell with Radon Safe in Roanoke, Virginia says it's something every homeowner should take seriously.
"Everybody knows someone that died of lung cancer and didn't smoke. It [radon] may be what caused it. Anything that has a footing or concrete slab is going to trap radon concentrate."
The only way to know you have high levels of radon is to test your home. You can get a test kit at your home improvement store. Most cost around $15 and are easy to use.
If the levels in your home are unsafe, you may consider having a radon fan installed. It sucks the radon gas and any moisture from under the foundation and sends it outside the home.
If you're purchasing a home, a radon test is a requirement. And just because your neighbor doesn't have a problem, doesn't mean YOUR home is free of the radioactive gas. Every home is different.