A lot of you swore to lose a few pounds and shape up for 2012. Whether you've stuck with it or have fallen off the wagon, we're here to help. Statistics show that about half of the people that make resolutions to slim down don't keep them after 6 months.
Fitness pros and husband & wife team Anthony and Johanna Ferguson stopped by our studio in Roanoke to offer some tips.
"There are so many fitness options," Anthony says. "The traditional gym may not fit for everybody."
There are a lot of individual training studios, outdoor-type workouts available. There are also running clubs and programs that focus solely on group exercising.
The Fergusons recommend you take advantage of every free trial that comes your way. You can look in to deals and offers at various clubs, as well as sitting down with a professional for a free consultation to see what kind of program works for you.
You can also get in shape from the comfort of your own home. If you're trying to jumpstart your fitness routine. Anthony and Johanna hace come up with the top five exercises you can do anywhere, at home or at work:
1. Basic squat. Do 10 to 12 reps, and to add to the work out, you can also do overhead shoulder presses with dumbbells. The key is to keep good posture and good form.
2. Basic lunge. This exercise builds leg strength. You can also do arm curls with dumbbells while lunging for a 2-for-1 deal.
3. A dip works out the back of the arms, and you'll need a chair or a bench to help you out with this. The key is to keep your hips close to the chair and keeping your back straight. This exercise helps strengthen the hard to reach muscles in the back of the arm.
4. Simple pushup. Keep your arms apart and your hips low to the ground while keeping your back straight. Beginners can start the pushups on your knees.
5. Planking. This builds strength in your core. All of your weight will be on your elbows and toes.
As far as eating healthy goes, moderation is key; if you splurge on a sweet treat, don't let the rest of your diet for the day go to the wayside.
"They key is consistency," Johanna says. "Everyday's a new day."
The duo also has a partnership with a food company that makes and ships healthy meals to people. The options are affordable and tasty are made locally.
For more information on the FitFood program, click here.