New year, new you!
News 7 Mornin' focused on New Year Resolutions featuring finance, food, and fitness.
In the video clips, Hotel Roanoke Executive Chef Billie Raper offered a recipe for egg white breakfast pizza and a yogurt parfait.
Also, Bob Grebe interviewed Salem YMCA fitness instructor Stephanie Gillenwater on how to stick to a work out routine in 2012.
Rod Nunez from Freedom First Credit Union offers the following tips for financial fitness in the new year.
Develop a Realistic Budget
- Create a spending plan
- Understand your current financial situation - snapshot of your finances
- Recognize NEEDS from WANTS and plan accordingly
Set SMART Financial Goals
- There are wishes and then there are goals
- A goal that is set up as a SMART goal makes it much more probable that you will reach your goals
- Specific, Measurable, Adjustable, Realistic and Time Oriented
Save Money - start small and strengthen the habit of putting funds away for later!
- Reduce Spending - usually no "extra" money at the end of month……
- Painful - when we adjust established spending habits- but NECESSARY
- Non-Painful - Take advantage of low interest rates- REFINANCE
- Auto loans can be refinanced!
- Long term interest savings and can amount to a reduced monthly payment- so now there is "extra" to SAVE
- Emergency Fund - you know emergencies will happen in 2011! It makes sense to start saving a little from each paycheck.
- Automate Savings
- Set up automatic transfers into a savings account when you get paid
- Take advantage of employer 401k plans - max out match!
Review Credit Report: A great resolution to do at least once a year!
- Check your Credit Report - www.annualcreditreport.com
- Ensure information is accurate
- Proactive way to minimize identity theft
The Money Mondays Free Financial Education series can help you get started in your journey to Financial Fitness.
All Seminars are FREE and Open to the Public
Workshop for January 23 is Budgeting
6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
541 Luck Ave SW, Roanoke
To register call (540) 378-8939 and leave a message, or e-mail RSVP@moneymondays.net
For more information call (540) 772-7524.