With snow on the way, Virginia State Police troopers are offering winter weather driving tips.
Mainly, state police want to urge drivers to slow down, and drive at speeds appropriate for the road.
Here are more tips, from Virginia State Police:
- Leave early and allow yourself extra time to get to your destination
- Obey all the traffic laws and buckle up
- Slow Down – The posted speed limit is for driving during prime road conditions
- Increase your following distance and brake earlier. A wet surface increases your need for stopping distance
- Never drive through standing or high water
- Turn your headlights on during inclement weather. This increases your visibility.
- If your windshield wipers are not on the intermittent cycle, then you must have your headlights on.
- If you feel your vehicle hydroplane, let your foot off the gas and steer straight until you regain control. Do not slam on your brakes.
- Always drive distraction free
If you are involved in a crash, you can dial #77 from your cell phone. This call will go directly to a Virginia State Police Communications Center. When you call, the dispatcher will ask for your location, so it is important to know your route of travel to expedite our response time to your call for service.