YORK COUNTY—On Wednesday evening, inmates in a female housing unit within the York County Prison presented symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide exposure.
Emergency medical personnel, police and fire departments were notified. Forty-nine inmates were sent to various hospitals for treatment. Remaining inmates in the housing unit that was primarily affected, as well as those in a nearby housing unit, were relocated to areas of the prison unaffected by the carbon monoxide.
The source of the carbon monoxide is preliminarily believed to be associated with the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system that serves the affected housing unit. That HVAC system was taken offline. CO levels within the affected housing unit and throughout the prison are normal.
As of 9 a.m. Thursday, five inmates remained in various hospitals for treatment. All other prisoners have returned to the facility and are accounted for.
The housing unit primarily affected by the CO exposure remains empty pending further investigation. Prisoners living in the unit have been relocated to other areas within the facility.