HEDGESVILLE, W.Va. —Firefighters battled two mobile home fires within a little less than an hour Thursday evening.
The first fire was reported at 5:45 p.m. on Jasper Lane off Mountain Lake Road, said Hedgesville Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Mike Nichols.
A man was cleaning up around a mobile home and burning debris when the fire spread to the home, Nichols said. The abandoned mobile home was destroyed, Nichols said.
While crews were at that fire, the call for the second fire was dispatched at 6:24 p.m. on Butler’s Chapel Road, Nichols said.
A man who lives at that house came home and noticed smoke coming from the mobile home, Nichols said.
The man opened the door then fled from the fire, Nichols said.
Nichols said that fire may have been caused by a wood stove.
That home was also destroyed and the Red Cross was called to assist the man, Nichols said.