Winter Storm Warning:
Issued at: 3:41 PM EST on December 8, 2013, expires at: 4:00 AM EST on December 09, 2013
- ...Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 4 am EST Monday...
- locations...foothills and Piedmont of North Carolina...as well as parts of Southside Virginia.
- Hazard types...freezing rain.
- Accumulations...up to one quarter inch of additional ice. Highest accumulations are expected along the Blue Ridge.
- Timing...tonight. The precipitation will change over to rain between midnight and 4am.
- Impacts...ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines causing power outages. Roads and sidewalks will become slippery and hazardous...especially bridges and overpasses.
- Temperatures...starting the lower 30s...rising slowly into the mid 30s. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of ice are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.