Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 2:39 PM EST on December 9, 2013, expires at: 4:00 PM EST on December 10, 2013
- ...Winter Weather Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to 4 PM EST Tuesday... The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow...sleet and freezing rain...which is in effect from midnight tonight to 4 PM EST Tuesday.
- Locations...southwest Virginia and southeast West Virginia...mainly along and west of the Blue Ridge...includes the Roanoke...new...and Greenbrier valleys...as well as the Alleghany Highlands.
- Hazard types...snow. Possibly beginning as sleet or freezing rain.
- Accumulations...snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches...a trace of freezing rain and sleet is possible before the precipitation changes to snow.
- Timing...precipitation will begin late tonight as rain or freezing rain then change to snow Tuesday morning. The snow will end by mid afternoon.
- Impacts...roads and sidewalks may become snow covered and slick.
- Winds...becoming northwest 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
- Temperatures...lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s. Little to no rise in temperatures on Tuesday. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow...sleet...or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving.