Winter Storm Warning:
Issued at: 5:15 am EST on December 8, 2013, expires at: 4:00 AM EST on December 09, 2013
- ...Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 4 am EST Monday...
- locations...foothills and Piedmont of North Carolina...as well as parts of Southside Virginia.
- Hazard types...some snow or sleet may occur this morning...with precipitation transitioning to freezing rain during the afternoon.
- Accumulations...one quarter inch of ice across much of the warning area...although around one half inch is expected along the Blue Ridge. Very minor accumulations of snow and sleet are also expected.
- Timing...4 am Sunday to 4 am Monday.
- Impacts...ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines causing power outages. Roads and sidewalks will become slippery and hazardous...especially bridges and overpasses.
- Temperatures...in the lower 30s. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of ice are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.