Winter Storm Warning:
Issued at: 5:45 am EST on December 7, 2013, expires at: 9:00 AM EST on December 09, 2013
- ...Winter Storm Warning in effect from 4 am Sunday to 9 am EST Monday... The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Winter Storm Warning for freezing rain and sleet...which is in effect from 4 am Sunday to 9 am EST Monday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.
- Locations...much of central Virginia and southeast West Virginia north of Highway 460...including the Greenbrier and New River valleys...the Alleghany Highlands...Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont.
- Hazard types...freezing rain and sleet. Some snow is likely at the onset.
- Accumulations...snow and sleet accumulation of up to 1 inch through Sunday afternoon...followed by one quarter inch to one half inch of ice through Monday morning.
- Timing...4 am Sunday to 9 am EST Monday
- impacts...ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines causing power outages. Roads will also become slick and hazardous... especially bridges and overpasses.
- Winds...east 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.
- Temperatures...in the upper 20s to the lower 30s. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.