Winter Storm Warning:
Issued at: 5:15 am EST on December 8, 2013, expires at: 12:00 AM EST on December 09, 2013
- ...Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until midnight EST tonight...
- locations...portions of the mountain Empire through the Blue Ridge in extreme southern Virginia...southward across the North Carolina mountains.
- Hazard types...some snow or sleet is possible this morning... becoming mainly freezing rain this afternoon.
- Accumulations...one quarter inch to one half inch of ice. Highest accumulations are expected along the Blue Ridge. Minor accumulations of sleet and snow are also expected across southeast West Virginia and the mountain Empire.
- Timing...4 am Sunday through Sunday evening.
- Impacts...ice will accumulate on trees and powerlines causing power outages. Roads and sidewalks will become slippery and hazardous...especially bridges and overpasses.
- Temperatures...in the lower 30s. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of ice are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.