Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 2:02 PM EST on March 4, 2015, expires at: 7:00 PM EST on March 05, 2015
- ...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect from midnight tonight to 7 PM EST Thursday...
- locations...Roanoke and New River valley...southwest to the North Carolina mountains...and mountain Empire of southwest Virginia.
- Hazard types...freezing rain...sleet and snow.
- Accumulations...snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches...with locally higher amounts possible northwest of Interstate 81. Less than a tenth of an inch of ice in isolated areas.
- Timing...rain will change to freezing rain and sleet after midnight tonight...then change to mainly snow between dawn and midday.
- Impacts...snow...sleet and freezing rain will lead to hazardous travel conditions.
- Winds...northwest 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
- Temperatures...falling into the mid 20s to around 30 Thursday. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow...sleet...or freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving. The public is encouraged to report snow...sleet or ice amounts to the National Weather Service via email at rnk.Skywarn@noaa.Gov or at phone number 1...8 6 6...2 1 5...4 3 2 4.For additional weather information...visit US on the web at http://www.Erh.NOAA.Gov or at http://weather.Gov. Reports are also welcome on our facebook Page or twitter feed @nwsblacksburg.