Winter Storm Warning:
Issued at: 4:58 am EST on February 14, 2016, expires at: 12:00 PM EST on February 16, 2016
- ...Winter Storm Warning in effect from 4 PM this afternoon to noon EST Tuesday... ...Wind Chill Advisory is cancelled... The National Weather Service in Blacksburg has issued a Winter Storm Warning for a wintry mix of snow...sleet...and freezing rain which is in effect from 4 PM this afternoon to noon EST Tuesday. The wind chill warning has been cancelled. The Winter Storm Watch has been replaced with a Winter Storm Warning.
- Accumulations...snow and sleet accumulation of 6 to 9 inches along with ice accumulations up to 1/10 inch.
- Locations...areas of Virginia...West Virginia...and North Carolina from the Blue Ridge westward.
- Hazard types...snow tonight and Monday morning...becoming mixed with and changing to sleet and freezing rain Monday afternoon into Tuesday morning.
- Timing...snow developing this evening continuing into Monday before changing to sleet and freezing rain Monday afternoon and Monday night.
- Impacts...hazardous travel due to snow and ice covered roads.
- Temperatures...single digits into the lower and mid 20s today...teens and 20s Monday...rising into the lower and mid 30s by Tuesday morning. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning for snow...sleet...and ice means that significant accumulations of winter precipitation are expected. Travel will become dangerous to perhaps impossible in some areas. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food... water...and a blanket in your vehicle in case of an emergency. The public is encouraged to report snowfall amounts...ice accumulation or wind damage to the National Weather Service via email at rnk.Skywarn@noaa.Gov or at phone number 1...8 6 6...2 1 5...4 3 2 4.For additional weather information...visit US on the web at http://www.Erh.NOAA.Gov or at http://weather.Gov. Reports can also be submitted to our facebook or twitter pages.