Winter Weather Advisory, Wind Chill Advisory:
Issued at: 8:32 PM EST on February 10, 2016, expires at: 10:00 AM EST on February 11, 2016
- ...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 7 am EST Thursday... ...Wind Chill Advisory remains in effect from midnight tonight to 10 am EST Thursday...
- locations...from the North Carolina mountains...north into the mountain Empire of southwest Virginia...and into the Greenbrier valley and Alleghany Highlands.
- Hazard types...accumulating snow showers...blowing snow and wind chills.
- Accumulations...additional snow accumulation of up to an inch.
- Timing...through early Thursday.
- Impacts...untreated roads will be snow covered and slick.
- Winds...west 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 30 to 40 mph.
- Temperatures...lows tonight 5 to 15 above.
- Wind chills...5 below to 20 below zero. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibilities...and use caution while driving. A Wind Chill Advisory means that very cold air and strong winds will combine to generate low wind chills. This will result in frost bite and lead to hypothermia if precautions are not taken. If you must venture outdoors...make sure you wear a hat and gloves. Make sure your pets are kept warm as well. The public is encouraged to report snowfall amounts to the National Weather Service via email at rnk.Skywarn@noaa.Gov or at phone number 1...8 6 6...2 1 5...4 3 2 4. Reports and pictures can also be shared on the National Weather Service Blacksburg facebook Page and on twitter.