Name released of man arrested after Roanoke standoff

He is facing multiple charges, including attempted first degree murder
Published: Nov. 20, 2020 at 12:59 AM EST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ) - One man is in custody after fleeing from police and starting a multi-hour standoff in the Hollins Road area Thursday night, according to Roanoke Police. No one was injured, and the roads have since reopened.

According to Roanoke City Police, officers were trying to serve a warrant to a wanted person sometime before 9 p.m. Thursday. The man, 25-year-old David Wills of Roanoke, was located in the 2000 block of Tinker Drive in a gray Buick. He sped away when officers approached, leading to a short pursuit of about a quarter of a mile.

The closure stretched from Orange Avenue to Liberty Road, and lasted nearly three hours.
The closure stretched from Orange Avenue to Liberty Road, and lasted nearly three hours.(WDBJ7 photo)

That ended when officers used a “stinger” to pop his tires, bringing the car to a stop at the intersection of Hollins Road and Mason Mill, where officers saw Wills with a weapon. Police say he refused to get out of the car, leading to a standoff that lasted several hours. A tactical team was called in and negotiators persuaded him to disarm the multiple weapons in his possession and surrender peacefully. According to Roanoke City Police, Wills was served warrants for attempted first degree murder, felony possession of a firearm, shooting at an occupied vehicle and two counts use of a firearm in commission of a felony. The department said there was also an outstanding capias on file from another jurisdiction.

The standoff shut down roads in northeast Roanoke for hours. Hollins Road was closed between Liberty Road and Orange Avenue. Side streets, including Kilgore, Mason Mill and 13th Street were also closed. No residents were allowed inside the closed area during the standoff, and more than a dozen people spent the time waiting in their cars, checking in on family and loved ones inside.

Officers finally cleared the scene and reopened all roads in the area around 12:30 Friday morning.

Copyright 2020 WDBJ. All rights reserved.