Advertisement

Christiansburg Fire offers carbon monoxide safety tips after three hospitalized

Published: Dec. 25, 2020 at 10:23 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (WDBJ) -The Christiansburg Volunteer Fire Department is offering safety tips after three people were sent to the hospital this week for exposure to carbon monoxide this week from a generator inside their home.

Firefighters say it’s important to regularly maintain heating equipment that uses gas or fossil fuels, making sure vents are clear of debris that would prevent them from operating properly.

When they’re called out to a possible leak, they have special gas detection equipment to sample the air that give readings of oxygen and carbon monoxide levels.

“CO is a gas that you can’t see, you can’t taste, and you can’t smell, so if you’re getting a detector that’s going off, it’s better for us to come out and check and if it’s a false alarm then that means you’re safe in your house,” said Deputy Fire Marshall Curtis Whitt.

The people exposed to carbon monoxide this week were exposed at levels of 250 parts-per-million. Officials say that’s extremely dangerous and typically use extra protection at levels of 35.

Officials say it’s not safe to keep a generator in your house.

Copyright 2020 WDBJ. All rights reserved.