Eight people hospitalized in Roanoke after apparent CO poisoning
ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ) - Eight people were taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries after an incident Saturday in Roanoke caused by Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
Early the morning of January 3, units were called to the 4400 block of Thelma St NW because of someone having difficulty breathing. Crews found multiple patients in the garage of a home experiencing altered levels of consciousness, symptoms common with CO poisoning, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS.
Crews found a propane tank with a heating element being used without proper ventilation, according to Roanoke Fire-EMS, causing levels of CO build-up within the area where the patients were found. Some of the patients had life-threatening levels of CO within their blood streams.
Copyright 2021 WDBJ. All rights reserved.