No gas leak detected after students dismissed early from Pulaski County school
PULASKI COUNTY, Va. (WDBJ) - UPDATE: No gas leak was detected Wednesday at Critzer Elementary School in Pulaski County after students and staff were sent home early as a precaution.
Pulaski County Public Schools says the school was inspected by Atmos Energy, and the Pulaski Fire Department has cleared the building, saying it’s safe to occupy.
The building will be inspected again as a precaution before school Thursday, but the district anticipates a regular schedule for the school Thursday.
ORIGINAL STORY: Critzer Elementary School is being checked out for a possible gas leak inside the building Wednesday, according to Pulaski County Public Schools.
The district says all students were safe, and the process of checking the school might extend into the afternoon, so students were dismissed at 10:30 a.m.
The school district says, “We apologize for the inconvenience this might cause.”
The principal of the school initiated a fire drill to get the students and staff out of the building after someone noticed a smell resembling that of gas, and school staff couldn’t pinpoint its source right away.
First responders and gas company representatives have not found the source, but the early release was put into place out of an abundance of caution, according to a school district spokesperson.
Copyright 2022 WDBJ. All rights reserved.