Two taken to hospital after Lynchburg apartment fire; additional fire destroys mobile residence

Published: Nov. 13, 2022 at 12:34 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WDBJ) - A fire in a bathroom trashcan led to a bigger fire Sunday in Lynchburg that led two people to be taken to a hospital with non-critical injuries. The fire was in an apartment at the Holland House complex at 3710 Fort Avenue.

According to the Lynchburg Fire Department, the building sustained fire and water damage.

Crews found heavy smoke leaving the three-story building and started an interior attack. Fire was located in the bathroom of one of the units, and other apartments had filled with smoke.

Three residents were already outside and two were taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. The third refused to be taken and was treated at the scene.

A fourth, elderly resident could not be evacuated, leading firefighters to stay with him until the flames were extinguished and the building was cleared of smoke.

Another fire, at 2331 Lakeside Drive at Colonial Mobile Home Park Sunday afternoon, started with combustible materials placed near a space heater catching fire and spreading, according to the Lynchburg Fire Department.

First crews found a mobile residence within Lot 6 heavily involved in flames. The resident was already outside and was not hurt.

The trailer was destroyed.

“With the advent of colder weather, fire officials would like to remind all residents to exercise caution with all of their heating sources – don’t overload electrical circuits, keep flammable materials away from space heaters and only use appliances that automatically shut off if they are tipped over. It’s also a good time to check to make sure you have smoke detectors installed in your home and they are working properly.”