Woman dies after Danville house fire

Published: Jan. 30, 2023 at 9:53 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ) - A woman has died after a house fire in Danville Monday morning.

Crews say they responded to the 500 block of Lewis Street at 3:50 a.m., where they found heavy fire and smoke coming from the house and they were told people were inside the home.

Crews rescued a woman who was trapped inside her bedroom. The Danville Life Saving Crew took her to a hospital, where she died.

The woman’s roommate of 43 years was able to escape, and refused treatment from fire personnel and the Danville Life Saving Crew.

“I think she had some mobility issues,” said Tim Duffer, Deputy Fire Chief. “So, the other occupant that was living there tried to assist her but was overcome by smoke and had to had to leave.”

“Most of the time we would go sit in a shopping center somewhere and we’d eat,” said David McMoore, resident. “I’m just all to pieces. She was a real nice person, one of the sweetest people you’d want to know.”

Crews were also able to save their dog, found hiding under a bed.

“I made it out of the house and after they got everything out, they went in there and found her. I didn’t know she had made it,” added McMoore.

The neighbor who called 9-1-1 said she woke up out of her sleep to her named being yelled from outside.

“I was asleep and I thought I was dreaming, but I heard my name,” said Paulette Watkins, neighbor of the victim. “I went to the front door and I looked and Mr. McMoore was sitting on the porch, and he said, ‘please call the, the fire department.’ When I looked up again, I’ve saw this big flame of fire. I just felt like God woke me up because if He hadn’t, it probably would have been worse than what it was.”

The deputy fire chief says an overloaded drop cord is to blame as it overheated during the night.