7@four: Celebrating National Meatball Day with Carrabbas
Chef Jason Kroeger from Carrabbas joined the 7@four crew Monday to share a recipe for Mama Mandola's Meatballs!
The recipe makes 35 meatballs (enough for 12 servings) and can be found below:
-Olive oil for the baking sheet
· 1 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion
· 2 scallions, white and green parts, coarsely chopped
· ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
· 1 garlic clove
· 1 large egg, beaten
· ½ cup plain dried breadcrumbs
· ½ cup freshly grated Romano cheese
· 4 teaspoons kosher salt
· ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 ¾ pounds ground round beef (85% lean)
· 1 ¾ pounds ground pork
1. Position racks in the top third and center of the over and preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
2. Pulse the onion, scallions, parsley, basil, and garlic together in a food processor fitted with the metal blade about 8 times, or until very finely minced. Add the egg and pulse a few times to combine. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add ¾ cup of water, the breadcrumbs, Romano cheese, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Add the ground round and ground pork and mix well. Using hands rinsed under cold water, shape the mixture into 36 meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on the baking sheets.
4. Bake until the meatballs are browned and show no sign of pink when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 25 minutes. Let cool. (The meatballs can be transferred to an airtight container and frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.)