New body camera footage released of officer-involved shooting in Lynchburg

Published: Apr. 12, 2019 at 3:43 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Body camera footage from two Lynchburg police officers has been released in the February 2018 shooting of a Lynchburg man inside his home on Link Road.

The body camera videos show four officers approaching the door, identifying themselves and asking any occupants to make themselves known. The front door of the home then slams shut, and officers briefly open fire.

In response, attorneys for Walker Sigler issued a statement, stating that Sigler "took no offensive action whatsoever" in the incident.

"He was awakened from his sleep by noises he couldn’t make out, he had no idea multiple officers with guns drawn were on the other side of his front door," the Lichtenstein Law Group said in a statement released Friday.

Sigler was hit in the exchange. The bullet shattered his leg and blood loss caused permanent partial loss of vision according to his attorneys.

The video shows officers firing their weapons through the front door after it closed.

"During all of these police actions, Mrs. Sigler, who was eight months pregnant at the time, and the Siglers’ two sons, ages 6 and 3, were in bedrooms directly above the area into which the officers shot," the statement from Lichtenstein Law Group said.

"This never should have happened. Mr. Sigler has suffered devastating and disabling injuries. He and his family are deeply and permanently affected," the statement continued.

Lynchburg police also issued a statement after the body camera footage was released, but declined further comment on the incident.

"The LPD believes in the principles of transparency while respecting the privacy of involved citizens," LPD said in a news release Friday.

Officers Edward Ferron, 41, and Savannah Simmons, 22, were charged after they fired into Sigler's home in February 2018.

A grand-jury indicted Ferron and Simmons in June on felony counts of Reckless Handling of a Firearm Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury, Unlawful Wounding, and Unlawful Shooting at an Occupied Domicile.

Ferron and Simmons pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of reckless handling of a firearm. They were sentenced to 12 months in prison, with all 12 months suspended. They were also sentenced to two years of unsupervised probation and 100 hours of community service.

Judge Yeatts called the outcome a fair resolution for both sides and said the shooting was a, "terrible tragedy."