(WHSV)-- Cargill's animal nutrition business is voluntarily recalling select Southern States® feed because it contains levels of aflatoxin in excess of FDA guidelines.
Aflatoxins can cause Aflatoxicosis, which, in its acute form, can result in generalized hemorrhage, bloody diarrhea and death in 1-3 days. Its effects and health consequences are the same across all species and age classes, but especially affects immature animals, also causing reduced feed intake, reduced weight gain, liver damage, jaundice, and eventually death.
The affected produces included feed for a variety of animals and were manufactured and sold in the eastern United States, but removed from retail shelves throughout February, March, and April 2019.
According to the FDA, no adverse health effects to livestock, horses, or poultry have been reported, but Cargill is issuing the recall out of an abundance of caution.
The products were manufactured at Cargill’s Cleveland, North Carolina, facility. The company learned of the issue when the North Carolina Department of Agriculture notified them of test results showing a single lot of a specific Southern States product with elevated levels of aflatoxin.
Cargill says they identified and corrected the root cause.
The affected feed was shipped to retail outlets and distributors in Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, where they've since been removed from shelves.
If you have any of the recalled products, you're asked to return any remaining product to the place of purchase for a replacement or refund. You can call 800-822-1012 (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time) for more information.
Below is a list of all the recalled products, along with their size, Lot Code, Product Code, Species, Date Made, and Shelf Life.
• Southern States Traditions 2-Grain Scratch (CN) 50 lb N8313 523540 Poultry Nov 2018 | 90 days
• Southern States Flock Balancer 20% Booster (CN) 50 lb N8352 525430 Poultry Dec 2018 | 90 days
• Southern States Calf Developer Plus (DEC) (CN) 50 lb N8354 511810 Dairy Cattle Dec 2018 | 60 days
• Southern States Sheep Feed Pellets (CN) 50 lb N9035 572610 Sheep Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Sporting Bird Flight Developer (BMD) (CN) 50 lb N9035 523630 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Genetic Expression 14% Jump Start (BVT) (CN) 50 lb N9035 573760 Beef Cattle Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Custom Formula 2 tons (all purchased by a single customer) N9037 Poultry Feb 2019 | 30 days
• Southern States Traditions Chick Start & Grow (AMP) (CN) 50 lb N9039 523600 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Custom Formula 23 tons (all purchased by a single customer) N9039 Dairy Cattle Feb 2019 | 30 days
• Southern States 16% Sweet Goat Feed (CN) 50 lb N9043 571800 Goat Feb 2019 60 days
• Southern States Triple 10 (CN) 50 lb N9043 554270 Equine Feb 2019 60 days
• Southern States Coarse Screened Cracked Corn (CN) 50 lb N9045 591180 All Stock Feb 2019 | 90 days
• Southern States Intensity 22% Calf Starter (BVT/CF) (CN) 50 lb N9045 511961 Dairy Cattle Feb 2019 | 60 days
• Southern States All Grain Start-N-Grow (CN) 25 lb N9053 523500 Poultry Feb 2019 | 90 days