Charges filed against mother of 2-year-old who died last weekend
WDBJ 7 has learned the 2-year-old boy's name was Steven Dale Meek II. He died Sunday at Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
Memorial services will be held on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Bower Funeral Home-Chapel in Pulaski.
The family will receive friends Saturday from 2 p.m. until service time at Bower Funeral Home.
The Christiansburg Police Department will hold a press conference Friday to announce charges and provide additional information in the death of a 2-year-old boy last weekend, according to a statement from the department.
Kayla Thomas, 25, of Christiansburg, is the boy’s mother, and the investigation into his death revealed a history of abuse, both physical and sexual, the release stated.
On Wednesday, Thomas was charged with the following:
- Committing forcible sodomy against a victim’s will by force, threat or intimidation
- Inanimate object penetration of a person less than 13 years of age
- Production of child pornography involving a child less than 15 years of age
- Possession and distribution of child pornography
- Being a parent or guardian, committing a willful act so gross and wanton as to show a reckless disregard for human life – Child Neglect
Thomas is being held without bond at Western Virginia Regional Jail. McKenzie Hellman, who was charged with child abuse earlier in the week in relation to this case, is Thomas’ boyfriend, the release added.
The investigation is ongoing, and more information about charges against Thomas and Heilman will be released during the press conference, the release added.