ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) Apple Butter Barbeque Sauce
1¼ cups apple butter (I used a whole 10-oz. jar of Kozlowski Farms)
½ cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp liquid smoke
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground pepper
1 cup (about 1 medium) onion, finely chopped
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp minced garlic
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp paprika
1. In a blender, combine all ingredients. Blend until mixed well and smooth. YIELDS 3 CUPS
Grilled Maple Mustard Chicken Wings
½ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup Spicy Mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
dash of Worcestershire sauce
5 lbs. chicken wings, separated at the joint, tips removed
salt and pepper
Maple Mustard Dipping Sauce
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup French's Spicy Mustard
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1. Lightly grease a grill with vegetable oil, and then preheat to medium heat. In a bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, mustard, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Pour half of the sauce into a microwave safe bowl.
2. Season the wings with salt and pepper. Place the wings on the grill in a single layer. Cook for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
3. Using the small bowl of sauce, brush the wings with half of the sauce. Grill for 10 more minutes, then flip and brush with the remaining sauce. Continue to grill for another 5 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining sauce until slightly thickened, a minute or two. Alternately, pour the sauce into a small saucepan and cook, just until slightly thickened.
5. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Refrigerate until needed.
6. Once the wings are cooked, place in a large bowl. Pour the thickened sauce over the wings and toss to coat. Serve topped with the chives and with the dipping sauce.