DANVILLE, Va. (WDBJ7) -- UPDATE: 8:00 p.m.
The following roads in Danville are closed:
- Riverside Drive from Piney Forest Road to Arnett Boulevard
- River Street from Main Street to Old Halifax Road
- One southbound lane of Central Boulevard from Piedmont Drive to Riverside Drive
- Third Avenue West
- Eastbound lanes of Wendell Scott Drive at Arnett Boulevard
- Elizabeth Street at Creek Crossing
UPDATE: 7:40 p.m.
Danville officials have announced that they've opened an emergency evacuation shelter at Bonner Middle School. This is located at 300 Apollo Avenue.
This shelter is being operated by the Red Cross and Danville Social Services.
Danville city officials have declared a local state of emergency Thursday due to heavy rainfall and flash flooding.
City Manager Ken Larking says that heavy rainfall and gusty winds has left streets flooded throughout the city. There have also been numerous fallen trees and power outages reported.
Officials are urging residents to use precaution. They say to not attempt travel unless necessary. Officials warn that if you do decide to travel to not drive through flooded streets or go near downed power lines.